Friday 8 March 2013

Alice Springs, Australia



Card no 423 –  Jamie
 Alice Springs from Anzac Hill
Country Card Sent From: Australia
Place that Card Sender Lives:  Alice Springs
Date Received: 28th February 2013
Distance Travelled:  9422 miles
Time Taken: 7 days

I had always imagined Alice Springs to be dry and dusty and so this card came as quite a surprise.  Jamie subsequently told me “It is a very dry and arid climate.  The trees are planted and watered to compensate for all the construction and remodeling that goes on.  It's an environmental concept.  That being said, out in the bush there is a lot of vegetation, desert grasses, and brush.”  
 
This delightful stamp of a baby dingo shows the same design as a silver series (bush babies) $1 coin. The coin’s reverse depicts the dingo pup set against a background of Banksia, Sturt’s Desert Peas and foliage.  The design also includes the dingo’s insect friend, a butterfly. The stamp series won the poll for the nation’s favourite stamp issue of 2011.


2 comments:

  1. The landscape in the postcard is similar to Las Vegas. I love that dingo stamp, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is more how I imagined Las Vegas - but then I've seen it in films whereas I'd only read abnout Alice Springs and that in old books, nothing modern.

      Delete

Welcome. I love it when visitors comment - even if it's only to say "Hi, I've been here!"