Sunday 31 March 2013

463 – 12 Heures de Paris – the race that never happened

Card no 463 – Danielle 
12 Heures de Paris, 1939 
Country Card Sent From: USA 
Place that Card Sender Lives: Omaha 
Date Received: 30th March 2013 
Distance Travelled: 4,122 miles 
Time Taken: 7 days 


I probably get more cards from Danielle than from any other friend with whom I exchange cards. And always they are to my liking. I don’t list motor racing on my postcrossing profile but it is my major sporting interest.

This poster advertised the race that never happened. It shows one of the cars of Amédée Gordini (1899 –1979), an Italian-born race car driver and French sports car manufacturer. Olazur was a motor oil of the time. An entry list was published for the race (including seven Gordini cars). But exactly a week before it was due to take place Britain and France declared War on Germany and all French sporting events were cancelled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome. I love it when visitors comment - even if it's only to say "Hi, I've been here!"