Thursday 28 March 2013

455 – A British pillar box

Card no 455 - Danielle 
A British Elizabeth II double pillar box 
Country Card Sent From: USA 
Place that Card Sender Lives: Omaha, Nebraska 
Date Received: 26th March 2013 
Distance Travelled: 4,122 miles 
Time Taken: 10 days 

The UK has a wide variety of different pillar, lamp and wall letter boxes so it was by pure chance that Danielle sent me one that showed the type my cards to her are often posted in. This is a photo of it done in the same style as Danielle's postcard.


Because I don’t postcross with people on the UK I don’t get British pillar boxes. Perhaps I should start including the UK in my postcrossing.

This was the stamp - for once the beautiful new round USA stamp was not obliterated by the franking process. 

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Franking is to "Stamp an official mark on (a letter or parcel), especially to indicate that postage has been paid or does not need to be paid." i.e, the inky blob (sometimes done with style and panache by hand in a rural post office but more usually done by a machine that not only obliterates the stamps but half obscures the writing) which is designed to show the date and place that the stamps were cancelled. In other words showing where the card / letter came from. I think it's the same machine that damages cards by scraping them as they pass through.

      Delete
    2. I should have simply said it's postmarking but I couldn't think of the word!

      Delete

Welcome. I love it when visitors comment - even if it's only to say "Hi, I've been here!"