Sunday 10 November 2013

Some late October cards



965 – Damien, who has sent me so many super French maps, has now sent me some Spanish ones -



961 - Damien


 963 - Damien

962 - Damien



964 - Damien



Some of the stamps used by Damien.



966 - Georgette (US-2438196) sent me some postboxes from the Smithsonian but, sadly, it doesn't show which countries they are from.


 967 - Along with hugs, this came from my Russian friend Irina.  The Cultural and Historic Ensemble of the Solovetsky Islands is a World Heritage Site. 

The Solovetsky archipelago comprises six islands in the western part of the White Sea, covering 300 km2 . They have been inhabited since the 5th century B.C. and important traces of a human presence from as far back as the 5th millennium B.C. can be found there. The archipelago has been the site of fervent monastic activity since the 15th century, and there are several churches dating from the 16th to the 19th century.

The Solovetsky complex is an outstanding example of a monastic settlement in the inhospitable environment of northern Europe, which admirably illustrates the faith, tenacity and enterprise of late medieval religious communities.

These stamps are wonderful.  Notice that the Solovetsky monastery is on them.



1 comment:

  1. I can help a little with the mail boxes. The one on the far left is Japanese, and the one on the far right is Canadian! I'm a Canadian who lives in Japan, so I know these things :-)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome. I love it when visitors comment - even if it's only to say "Hi, I've been here!"