Tuesday 26 November 2013

Skipping forward...



The only way I stand a chance of getting up-to-date is to skip forward from 1002 to 1111 which was one of yesterday’s cards.

1111 – Monica in Sweden made this card, received 25th November 2013, from her own photos.   Or perhaps, arguably, it’s a photo not a card but since it has a message on the back and is certainly worth blogging I’m counting it.  It’s a lot clearer and more attractive than many a postcard you buy in the shops. 



The envelope it came in contained other things and the stamps were fantastic.  So much wildlife…





 

1112 – Another  card from Monica, this is one of the Lennart Helje cards.  It’s called Snårlvinter which doesn’t really translate into English since the literal translation ‘mean winter’ suggests something a lot deeper in snow and ‘skimpy winter’ or ‘scrimpy winter’ don’t convey very much. So we’ll settle for Snårlvinter.

 Helje’s little Brownie was on the very first (ugh – ‘the very first’  - horrible expression.  I mean, of course, simply ‘the first’.) card that I put on a  postcard blog – see here.


1113 – From Eva in Morocco came this card of Tangier.  On the left is Hercules’s cave.  



It is said to be the shape of Africa, which, if you turn it round, I think it is. 



So presumably if you look inwards from outside it looks Africa-shaped but that would be so much less impressive. 

A new stamp- 

5 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the cards and stamps, John. Btw the word is "snålvinter" (no r in the first part of the word). I just looked up another expression using 'snål' in connection with wind ('snålblåst' in Swedish) and found the translation 'biting wind'. I think what is meant is bitterly cold weather, the kind that often feels even colder than it looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you. That explains it, thanks, Monica.

      Delete
  2. I was there again last Sunday, but it was raining and we didn't enter the caves. I'm happy to had found a new stamp for you. You know... it's really difficult!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cave card is fascinating (maybe because of the colours, too)! I didn't see it before (and I didn't realize there was a cave named after Hercules).

    The composition by Lennart Helje is beautiful, too. That scenery we do have in our country, too.
    By the way, the expression 'the very first' we also know in Dutch: 'eerste' = first, and 'allereerste' (lit. aller = of all) = very first. To me there's a clear difference between the two of them, I like the nuances so I'm happy that 'very first' exists in English, too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I need to find another card with the caves, and it will be your very first, Heleen! :D

      Delete

Welcome. I love it when visitors comment - even if it's only to say "Hi, I've been here!"